- - - - - - - - - MY STATION - - - - - - - - -
Shack of J35X - QTH Grenada - Caribbean - 12.05 North Lat. 61.73 West Long.
!!! Grid - FK92db !!! CQ Zone - 8 !!! ITU Zone - 11 !!! IOTA - NA-024 !!!
I was first licenced in 1970 and was given the callsign VP2GU. It was changed to J39AS in 1974 when Grenada gained it's Independence from Great Britain. It was further changed to J39BS when it was discovered that J39AS was issued to two individuals by the Telecommunications Office.
In December of 2011, after a long wait, I was issued the callsign of J35X.
I have been active since 1970 on VHF ( 2 meters ) and HF using CW - RTTY - SSB - SSTV and other Digital modes including Packet. My main interests are in the Digital modes but I love CW a lot.
Even though I will never really be a serious contender (only dipole antennas here), I really enjoy RTTY contesting and you will find me taking part in most RTTY and CW contests.
In September of 2004, the island was devastated by Hurricane IVAN with winds of up to 125 M.P.H. 90 percent of all homes were damaged and we were out of commercial power for months. At that time, my 2 radios, an ICOM IC-751 and Yaesu FT-101E were not operating and further suffered water damage, rendering them unrepairable. I them made a decision never to be without a working radio again.
Oh, how I wished I had a working radio during that period of time.
The shack is now as shown in the photograph above with various radios, a computer and some homebrew stuff.
- - - - - - - - - STATION RADIO EQUIPMENT - - - - - - - - -
My Icom IC-765 - My RTTY workhorse
20 Years old and still going strong.
|My Icom IC-751A - A Real Workhorse|
Icom IC-765 ----- Icom IC-751A ----- Bencher Paddle
Icom IC-2200H (2 Meters) ----- Kantronics KAM Ver. 6.1 Pactor 1
Icom IC-AT500 Automatic Antenna Tuner ----- Bird 43 Wattmeter
My Icom IC-AT-500 - A real nice Auto Tuner
Works like a dream.
- - - - - - - - - STATION ANTENNAS - - - - - - - - -
Rotatable dipole for 20/15/10 Meters
1. Rotatable dipole for 20/15/10 meters up on a mast at 35 feet in the air fed with 1:1 balun and coax.( The driven element of my TA33 Jnr beam )
2. Standard half wave dipole for 40 Meters fed with 1:1 balun and coax up 30 feet in the air.
3. Standard half wave dipole for 80 meters fed with 1:1 Balun and coax at the same height as the 40 Meter dipole
4. M-Squared 5 element six meter beam (in storage).
Apart from the rotatable dipole for the higher bands, all my other antennas are wire antennas. I do quite a bit of experimenting with wire antennas, so my configuration may vary from time to time.
I plan to erect my TA33 JNR Beam sometime soon. I do also have a CushCraft A3S which is sitting in the basement of my sister's house . Not sure what I will do with it yet .
- - - - - - - - - STATION COMPUTER EQUIPMENT - - - - - - - -
1. 2.53 Ghz Pentium 4 Dual Core processor - 2 Gb RAM - 160 Gb Hard Drive - Windows XP SP3
- - - - - - - - - AMATEUR RADIO SOFTWARE USED - - - - - - - - -
EasyPal - For Digital SSTV
KG-STV - Another Digital SSTV Program
MMSSTV - For Analogue SSTV
MMTTY - For RTTY
ROS - Digital Mode
JT65-HF - For Operating JT65 on the HF bands
WSJT-X - For JT65, JT9 and other modes expecially for LF and MF bands
RCKLOG - For RTTY & PSK contesting. (Nice Program)
The FLDIGI Suite - For Digital Modes and NBEMS Emergency messaging system
Ham Radio Deluxe & DM780 - For Logging & Digital Modes
Logger32 - General Logging Program - Also used to work RTTY and PSK
N1MM - Contest Logging Program
ADIF Master - For ADIF file manipulations
IrfanView - For Picture viewing and manipulations
XnView - For Picture viewing and manipulations
BV7 - For generating QSL Labels
FBB - Packet Radio BBS Program by F6FBB
BPQ MailChat - BPQ switch , BBS and CHAT program by G8BPQ
- - - - - - - - OTHER SOFTWARE USED - - - - - - - - -
Adobe Photoshop - For Graphics
Adobe Dreamveaver - For Website Development
WinSCP - For uploads to Website
Cool Text Graphics Generator - For Graphics